Page 4 - Sansarc Country School Museum, Orton School Bell booklet 2.3.2020
P. 4

History of the Schoolhouse                                                                                       Schiefelbein guided cleaning,
                                                                                                                         furnishing, improving
        The first Sansarc schoolhouse (East) built along Sansarc Creek in 1904 on                                        appearance and functionality
        George Walker’s place, now Timmy Olson’s place. There were Sans Arc                                              of building, and it was open as
        Indian tribes in the area of Cheyenne River. Sans Arc can mean “no bow” or                                       an interpretive museum in
        “unmarked arrows”. The Sans Arc Indians did not mark their arrows so they                                        June 2014.
        would all share the meat, rather than have all the meat go to only the brave
        who killed the bison. It is also thought they used spears instead of bow and
        arrows.                                                                                                          There were six windows, and
                                                                                                                         one entrance door. The
                             Sansarc School (west) built around 1910 in Stanley                                          bathroom was one of the two
                             County and used actively as a school until 1969.                                            school outhouses.
                             Phone service began in April 1960.                                                          The one room school is 18 feet
                             Early it was on the Jacobsen place.[ Section 20] The   wide and 23 feet long and has six windows on South and two windows on
                             last location was near Bernard Stoeser’ s            East, a front entry with interior door and transom window to the room and
                                                                                  outside entrance.
                             place.[Southeast corner of Section 16 at flag symbol]


                                                      In notes by Frances
                                                      Sampson Olesen, she
                                                      has that Sansarc was
                                                      established in 1904; and
                                                      a new school was built
                                                      in 1906. She has that
                                                      Sansarc started as
                                                      District #14. From
                                                      1912-1958 it was
                                                      District #95. In 1958, it
                                                      was in Trail District
                                                      #98.                        The entry is used for hanging coats, storing water cooler, keeping balls and
                                                      Purchased and moved         bats, lunch pails, boots.
                                                      to Gene Stoeser ranch
                                                      in 1973. Gene then
                                                      brought schoolhouse to
                                                      Fort Pierre to be used as
                                                      a museum in 1975 and
                                                      donated it to the
        Verendrye Museum. Restoration of roof and interior in 1999 to prevent
        deterioration of building by Verendrye Museum and Stanley County School
        Board, guided by Gene Stoeser and Mary Beth Stoeser Fravel. The original
        teacher cottage built next to the school and used actively until 1969, and
        original swing set were located in April 2014. In 2014, Deb Stoeser
                                        2
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9