Civil War Monument

Back Next Corner of Capitol & Wells Avenues The Civil War Monument was the first war monument on the South Dakota State Capitol grounds. Situated on “the triangle” across from the Capitol Lake, the Civil War Monument was officially dedicated on June 1, 1920....

South Dakota State Capitol

Back Next 500 E Capitol Completed in 1910, the South Dakota State Capitol is the best example of Neoclassical architecture in South Dakota and the symbol of State government for nearly 100 years. As various State officials have come and gone, the capitol remains a...

Governor’s Residence

Back Next 119 N Washington Ave In Pierre’s early days, there was no swank Governor’s mansion befitting the position. Instead, Governors rented apartments or stayed at popular Pierre hotels such as the Locke, St. Charles and Wells House. While this sufficed, it was...