Historic Meat Market

Back Next Andy’s Meat Market at 102 N. Deadwood was built in 1907 by Andy Ricketts. Ricketts had purchased equipment from George Mathieson’s meat market (Exchange Meat Market on Main Avenue) in 1907 for his new business on the corner of Deadwood and Main.  In 1919, he...

1905 Stanley County Jail

Back Next 1905 Stanley County Jail. Fort Pierre, South Dakota After Fort Pierre won the county seat, in 1890, the county rented office space and then built a small building/hall. In 1907, they decided to build a new brick courthouse (concrete walls are 8” thick) on...

St. Mary’s Hospital

Back Next The History of St. Mary’s Healthcare Center In 1882, Dr. D.W. Robinson, a recent graduate, was in route by train to the Pacific Coast in quest of practicing medicine there. However, his life was about to take a twist. He was misled by the railroad...

Shady Ladies of Missouri Avenue

Back Next Arkansas Joe and The Shady Ladies of Missouri Avenue Since Pierre was established as a town in the fall of 1880, it has been proud of its important role as a community and capital city. It serves and has historically served a large trade area. It has...

Pierre’s First School House

Back Next In the fall of 1880, Max J Schubert from Watertown, WI, came to Pierre and bought land to build a drug store. He came back to Pierre in spring of 1881 with two carpenters and precut lumber to build the drug store and built a small one room, 14’x20’ temporary...