Page 5 - DrivingTourBooklet2020
P. 5

The men cooked corn for the next day. The cooks slept on the sand bar       Sunday, September 23, 1804
        and the remainder of the men slept on board the keelboat. For the first           The men in the three boats continued rowing upriver, aided by a gentle
        time in four nights, they all slept well.                                      southeast breeze. They passed several islands, one of them called EIk
        Viewing Point:                                                                 Island, was about two and one-half miles long, covered with cottonwood
        1.  Scenic  Overlook on SD  Hwy 1804.  Located  on  the  eastern  side  of     trees, red berries, and grapes. Captain Clark took a walk along the shore
           the Missouri River, just below the Oahe Dam, this observation point         and saw herds of buffalo in the distance. He also saw smoke from a prairie
           overlooks the river, as well as Campgrounds 1, 2 & 3. The Corps of          fire in what is now Lyman County. Presumably, the Teton Sioux, camped
           Engineers has a very good interpretive sign telling about the dam and       near the Bad River, were signaling other tribal members to join them.
           the  area.  The  nearby  South  Dakota  State  Historical  Society  plaque     Reuben Fields, who had Ieft the keelboat earlier to do some hunting,
           shows the places Lewis and Clark camped. In addition, to the west of        found a sixteen-yard wide creek on the north side of the river. The captains
           campgrounds 1, 2 & 3, between the hills and the river, one can see a        named  it  Reuben’s  Creek  (now  Medicine  Knoll  Creek)  in  his  honor.  The
           large level plain stretching south. The village of chief Black Buffalo was   travelers  continued  west  before  camping  for  the  night  in  a  cottonwood
           located on this plain.                                                      grove on the north side of the Missouri River, a couple miles above the creek.

                                                                                             Medicine Knoll Overlook. View looking southwest of the bluffs
                                                                                          While  the  men  were  cooking  their  evening  meal,  which  included
        1804 Overlook. Looking west across the swimming beach to the Ft. Pierre Plain.  cooking an antelope shot by Reuben Fields, three Sioux boys swam across
        Saturday, September 29, 1804                                                   the river to their campsite. The boys reported that eighty lodges of the
           Lewis  and  Clark  started  early  their  last  day  in  present-day  Hughes   Teton were camped near the mouth of the Bad River. They were given
        County. About 9:00 a.m. Chief Partisan, who had caused so much trouble         two twists of tobacco to carry to their chiefs with the message that Lewis
        at the mouth of the Bad River, hailed them. He requested a ride upstream       and Clark would visit with them the next day. The boys were taken back
        for  himself,  three  other  men  and  one  woman,  to  visit  friends.  Clark   across the river with one of the rowboats. As was the usual practice that
        refused; however, he gave them a twist of tobacco and authorized one of        night, some of the men slept in tents on shore, while others slept in the
        the boats to ferry them across the river to the east shore.                    cabins of the keelboat. Before turning in for the night, Captain Lewis took
           A short time later the Corps of Discovery passed Chantier Creek. After      a walk along the shore.
        traveling about eleven miles that day, they spent the night anchored in
        the river not far from the mouth of Okobojo Creek.
                                       14                                                                              3
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10