Turtle Effigy

Back Next 3 Miles North of Pierre on Highway 1804 Turtle Effigy is a large stone alignment on the earth in the shape of a turtle. No one knows for sure who made the effigy. According to one story not attributed to a specific tribe, “An Arikara lookout surprised by a...

Old Fort Sully

Back Next Farm Island Recreation Area By the 1840’s, thousands of people were travelling west, but they initially posed little threat to the Plains Indians, because they did not settle on the Plains but instead headed to California and Oregon. Once they did begin to...

Oahe Chapel

Back Next Hwy 1804 near Oahe Dam In 1874, Reverend Thomas L. Riggs, a Congregationalist minister, and his first wife, Cornelia Margaret “Nina” Foster, established the Oahe Mission to serve the Sioux Indians of central South Dakota. The missionaries chose to build on...

Jefferson Davis House

Back Next 206 W Second St, Fort Pierre Constructed in 1906, the Jefferson Davis Carr house is important for its associations with an early settler in Stanley County who built the home, and for its architectural significance. The house is a somewhat rare domestic...

Stephens-Lucas House

Back Next 123 N Nicollett St The Stephens-Lucas House, built in 1904 by Attorney L. L. Stephens, is a two-and-one-half-story cross gambrel Dutch Colonial, a popular style in South Dakota during the early 20th century. The house is one of the best examples of its type...

St. Charles Hotel

Back Next 207 E Capitol Built as the premier hotel in Pierre by prominent businessman Charles Hyde, the St. Charles Hotel was and has been since it first opened the most prestigious address in Pierre. Governor Vessey and Lieutenant Governor Byrne hosted the reception...